How to care for your Gold Plated Jewellery
Gold jewellery is beautiful and special, it can make you feel so incredible when you’re wearing it. However, it is really expensive... gold plated jewellery to the rescue! Gold plated jewellery is a great alternative to real gold jewellery and it looks almost as beautiful as the real thing.
Plating is a process where a layer of gold is placed on to coat the surface of another metal. It is not 100% solid gold therefore extra care should be taken to maximise its lifespan.
Here's some of our fav tips to keep your gold plated jewellery looking its absolute best:
- Where possible don't sleep in your products, the rubbing and any sweat can eventually dull the appearance of your jewellery.
- Store your jewellery correctly; store jewellery in a dark place like a jewellery box make with soft inserts; avoid it touching other pieces as the rubbing against other metals can cause friction leading to the gold plating wearing off.
- Store like items together. Do not store gold plating and silver plating together. The different metals can cause each other to tarnish. So, have different storage places for different colours of metals like gold and rose gold.
- The best way to polish your gold plated jewellery is to spray some window cleaner on a piece of kitchen paper and gently rub it against your piece. It will restore the shine and sparkle just like when you first bought the piece!
- Use a soft jewellery cloth to help restore the shine, don’t use a polishing cloth as this will strip away the plating and damage your piece.
- If you need a deeper clean on your products use warm soapy water, avoid antibacterial soaps as this can strip away the gold plating!
These simple tips will keep your jewellery glowing beautifully for years! Now, time to grow your beautiful jewellery collection, explore our gold plated jewellery.